Benefits of a Smart Home
If you’re one of the approximately 77 percent of Americans who own a smartphone, you’ve probably wondered how you ever got by without it — we use them for everything from listening to music and getting directions to doing our banking and downloading concert tickets. But you might not know that smart home technology can change the way you and your family live — for the better.
What Is a Smart House?
The term “smart home” refers to a house with interconnected systems and devices such as heating and cooling, appliances, electronics, security and lighting. A smart house also features home automation that facilitates the control of these systems with minimal human intervention. You can use your smartphone, tablet or laptop computer to monitor the performance of these connected systems and make adjustments to the settings as needed.
Why Is a Smart Home Important?
Transitioning to a smart home does require an upfront expenditure on equipment and technology. However, most homeowners discover that their initial investment results in many short-term as well as long-term benefits. The advantages of smart home technology include:
- Energy efficiency: If you’re tired of those spiraling utility bills, smart technology can save money by making your home more energy efficient. Automating the control of your appliances reduces the amount of wasted energy, as you can program them to adjust to a lower setting or switch off when they’re not in use. You won’t waste electricity if you forget to turn the light off in your garage or blasting the heat or air conditioning during the day when no one is home, its as simple as turning them off through an app.
- Security: Smart technology can also make your home safer. Use it to integrate the various components of your home’s security system. For example, if an intruder trips a motion sensor, it can activate the burglar alarm and turn on the floodlights. You can also use home automation to make your home look “lived in” while you’re on vacation. You can program the lights to turn on and off at predetermined intervals. If your home has surveillance cameras, you can use your smartphone as a remote monitor so you can see what’s happening in and around your property when you’re away.
- Convenience: Smart home technology can make your life so much easier. For instance, preprogramming your HVAC system means you won’t have to get up in the middle of the night to raise the thermostat — your home will remain at the ideal temperature on a 24/7 basis. You can also set up smartphone alerts to notify you of everything from a water leak to a possible break-in. You can even see who’s ringing your doorbell when you’re in an upstairs bedroom.
- Accessibility: The ability to control who enters your home is another of the many benefits of smart home technology. If you’re expecting a package delivery while you’re at work, you can use your smartphone to see when the driver arrives and unlock the door remotely to let him or her inside. No more worries about leaving packages on the porch until you get home! If your kids forget their house key, you can let them inside with just a couple of taps on your mobile device.
- Video Surveillance: If your kids are home alone or you have aging parents living with you, smart home technology gives you additional peace of mind. You can use your phone to see what’s happening inside whenever you wish. You can also keep an eye on the babysitter or issue a command to your dog via speaker to stop chewing on your slippers!
- Sustainability: Most of us are concerned about protecting the environment. A smart home’s excellent energy efficiency results in less energy consumption, meaning you’ll be living in a more eco-friendly house. The technology is also compatible with renewable energy products such as solar panels and geothermal heat pumps.
- Cost-effectiveness: Most homeowners experience a relatively quick return on their investment in smart technology — the energy savings alone can range from 10 to 30 percent. Some homeowner’s insurance providers are now offering discounts when transitioning to a smart home due to the added safety benefits. And when the time comes to put your house on the market, you may be able to sell it at a higher price — more buyers will be seeking a home equipped with this state-of-the-art technology.
- Embracing the future: It’s becoming increasingly clear that smart home technology is the wave of the future. And the good news is that it’s getting more affordable almost by the day. By transitioning to a smart home now, you’ll be ahead of the curve. You’ll also be more adaptive to the inevitable upgrades to the systems and equipment in the coming years. Once you’ve spent time in a smart home, you won’t want to go back to your “old” way of living!
How to Make Your House a Smart House
It pays to do some research before making the switch to smart home technology. Read up on the all the available products to target the ones that make the most sense for your property. You also don’t have to make the plunge all at once — you can start small and add as you go. For example, something as simple as installing a programmable smart thermostat allows you to experiment without making a significant investment. You can also purchase a wireless doorbell camera at an extremely affordable price.
BSG Can Handle All Your Smart Home Needs
BSG has been helping homeowners throughout San Antonio and Austin keep their properties safe for over 25 years. We can equip your house with the latest smart home technologies at a budget-friendly price. We can install automated lighting and smart thermostats, camera and video doorbells and smart door locks, and other advanced equipment and devices. Contact us (855) 697-6278 to learn more about the benefits of smart home technology and to schedule a no-obligation consultation today.