When it comes to home security, the presence of a loyal canine companion has long been seen as a natural deterrent to potential burglars. After all, who wouldn’t think twice about targeting a house guarded by a barking, protective pup? But does having a dog mean you can skip investing in a security system altogether? Let’s compare the two and find out.
1: Alertness to Trouble
Dogs possess remarkable senses, with their acute hearing and keen sense of smell. They can indeed alert you to potential intruders with their barking. However, dogs often misidentify harmless everyday visitors as threats, resulting in false alarms. On the other hand, a smart home security system excels at distinguishing between genuine threats and routine events. Furthermore, in the event of a break-in, an 24-7 professionally monitored security system can promptly contact the authorities for professional assistance. Winner: Smart home security is more reliable in this aspect.
2: Keeping Burglars at Bay – The Power of Smart Security Systems
Burglars are notorious for avoiding homes equipped with visible security systems, and this deterrent factor effectively dissuades approximately 60 percent of potential intruders. Additionally, the presence of a vigilant dog in the yard or the echoing sound of barking can further discourage criminal activity. However, it’s essential to recognize the limitations of relying solely on a furry guardian.
The Role of Canine Companions:
While dogs can be fantastic deterrents, they come with their own set of limitations. For instance:
1. Unlawful Entry: Dogs, no matter how vigilant, cannot prevent unlawful entry through unlocked doors or windows. They may deter intruders, but they can’t secure your home effectively.
2. Communication: Dogs can’t send immediate alerts to authorities or emergency services when a break-in occurs. They rely on barking to signal an intrusion, which might not always lead to prompt action.
The Power of Smart Security Systems:
In contrast, a well-designed smart security system provides a more comprehensive approach to home protection:
1. Proactive Reminders: Smart security systems offer proactive reminders, ensuring you never leave your doors or windows unlocked. They actively prompt you to secure your home, reducing the risk of unauthorized entry.
2. Remote Locking: With the touch of a button on your smartphone, you can remotely lock or unlock your doors, enhancing your control over home security. Whether you’re at work, on vacation, or simply away from home, you have the power to reinforce your home’s security instantly.
3. Immediate Alerts: In the event of a break-in or an emergency, smart security systems can send immediate alerts to both you and a monitoring station. This swift response ensures that help is on the way when you need it most.
The Winner: Smart Home Security
While both dogs and smart security systems contribute to home security, the edge unquestionably goes to smart home security systems. They offer a more versatile, proactive, and reliable approach to safeguarding your home, addressing vulnerabilities that canine companions cannot. So, while your dog remains a cherished member of your family, consider complementing their protective instincts with the advanced capabilities of a smart security system for comprehensive home protection.
3: Tamper Resistance
If a determined burglar targets your home, a dog’s security can be compromised. Some burglars come prepared with distractions like food or toys to divert a dog’s attention. While trained dogs may stand their ground, most pets will chase after the diversion. A smart home security system, however, is engineered to withstand tampering attempts. Even if a burglar damages the security panel, Alarm.com’s Crash and Smash technology can still alert the 24-7 monitoring station. Winner: Smart security systems are more tamper-resistant.
4: Fun Factor
While you can have some fun with a smart home security system, it can’t quite match the joy of having a furry companion by your side. Interacting with your security system or showing off its features to neighbors might be enjoyable, but it will never replace the unconditional love and happiness a dog provides. Winner: This round unquestionably goes to our canine friends.
In conclusion, while dogs offer emotional companionship and some level of security, a smart home security system provides more reliable, comprehensive, and tamper-resistant protection. So, if you’re considering your home’s safety, you might want to complement your furry friend with a reliable security system. For any questions about home security, feel free to chat with one of our live BSG representatives today (210) 202-0525!