What you need to know when shopping for a video doorbell
Smart doorbells have changed home security for the better. They’ve created a way to monitor door traffic and keep an eye on the doorstep in one device. The smart doorbell boasts an HD-quality camera, motion detection, and remote monitoring. It’s one of the most useful devices you can have for better home security. Once you know you want to shop doorbell security, where should you look, and what should you look for? In this blog, we’ll help you identify the best type of smart doorbell camera to protect your home and family.
Features of a Smart Doorbell Camera
It’s easy to say that not all products are created equal. Some smart doorbell cameras will have better features than others, while some might have features you won’t actually need. To make it easy for you, we’ve listed ten features that every high-quality doorbell camera should have:
- Wireless setup: This should just go without saying in the year 2020. Having a wireless smart doorbell makes the installation process faster and cheaper. Additionally, a wireless smart doorbell can be easily moved from one home to another if you’re thinking about moving. Wires often get in the way and can cause problems, especially if you live in an area prone to power outages or extreme weather conditions.
- Easy DIY installation: A noteworthy feature you should look for is a DIY installation option. If the smart doorbell can be installed without professional help, you know it will be easy to use. On the other hand, if it requires professional assistance, then the doorbell might have a steeper learning curve.
- Weather-resistant: Even if the smart doorbell isn’t directly exposed to harsh environmental conditions, it’s prudent to find one that remains durable through bad weather and highly fluctuating temperatures. For example, if the doorbell isn’t waterproof, you’ll likely have trouble during rainstorms. Look for a doorbell that is IP65 weather-certified.
- Compatible with a mobile app: A reliable smart doorbell allows you to monitor your home from a remote location. To do this, the doorbell will need to connect to an app that allows you to access the live footage from the doorbell’s camera. If the doorbell doesn’t come with an app, it very likely doesn’t allow for remote monitoring.
- Silent mode: When a traditional doorbell rings, the sound echoes inside your home. When someone presses a smart doorbell, it both chimes through your home and sends an alert to your smartphone. If you have young children who nap during the day, you’ll want a silent mode that lets the doorbell call your phone without chiming throughout your home.
- Cloud video storage: A smart doorbell doubles as a security camera that saves video footage. When you’re looking for a smart doorbell, choose an option that comes with rolling cloud recording. This means that the footage will be uploaded seamlessly to the cloud. When the storage approaches full capacity, the new will begin to replace the old.
- Mobile notifications: You’ll need a smart doorbell that sends you notifications. You should receive two different notifications: one for when the motion sensor is triggered and another for when someone presses the doorbell. These notifications will tell you when you should check on the doorstep, and they’ll keep you apprised no matter where you are.
- Compatible with your existing door chime: You might want to find a smart doorbell that’s compatible with your existing door chime. This allows you to keep the door chime you already love rather than switching to something else.
- Two-way voice: Two-way voice communication allows you to speak through your phone to the person at your door and then hear what that person says back to you. You can give verbal directions to delivery people and answer your door without ever actually going to the door.
- HD-quality camera: Make sure to choose a smart doorbell camera with HD video. You’ll miss out on crucial details if you opt for a camera with lower-resolution video. Plus, you’ll enjoy brighter colors and increased clarity with HD video.
When you’re looking at smart doorbells, try to check off all ten of these features.
Who Needs a Video Doorbell Camera?
If you’re wondering how to make your home feel safer, you’re in the market for a doorbell camera. Studies have shown that about 83 percent of burglars avoid homes that have existing security systems. With a doorbell camera at your front door, you will be actively warning burglars away from your home. Additionally, since the majority of burglars enter through the front door, having a doorbell camera at the doorstep will discourage burglars from even trying. Doorbell cameras are perfect for families and individuals who want to feel safe at all hours of the day and night. Doorbell cameras grant you safety, peace of mind, and 24/7 protection.