Realtors: Security Systems for Real Estate Properties
As a homeowner, you know that having a comprehensive residential security system is the difference between feeling secure and being secure. But if you’re a realtor, are you aware of the importance of security systems for real estate properties?
As a realtor, you’re constantly aware of the need for security around the properties you show. Whether you’re worried about being off the beaten path after dark because you’re working late or concerned about what might happen to the property while you aren’t there, you want to make sure that every property is as well-protected as possible.
Thus, security systems for real estate properties are vital. Here’s why.
Keeping Properties Safe
When people are considering a property, they decide whether or not to buy it based on its appearance and how difficult they think it will be to maintain. If the property has been damaged or burglarized, many potential buyers will turn and walk away without taking a second look. Vandalism can also significantly reduce the selling price of a property, especially if the current owner doesn’t want to take the times to fix things up. That’s why every realtor should take the time to install, or encourage their sellers to install, security systems for real estate properties — it will give you all the tools you need to keep your properties safe.
The security needs of each property will vary based on the type of property, where it’s located, and how many units are contained within the property. These varied types of properties, however, all have one thing in common: they need security systems that will allow you to monitor the property, keep an eye on things, and respond quickly in the event of an emergency.
Consider these things when choosing security systems for real estate properties:
- Do you want to monitor when various employees come and go? This can be done either through a camera or a push notification.
- How much of a record do you want if the property is broken into or vandalized? A system that comes complete with cameras to install in sensitive areas will help make it easier to monitor everything that’s happening on the property.
- How much of a deterrent does your security system need to be? A property in an affluent area with relatively low crime rates might not need as much of a deterrent as a property in a poor area with high crime rates.
- How isolated is the property? While an isolated property might be seen by fewer people, it also has fewer people watching over it to ensure that nothing happens.
- How large is the property? An extensive property may need more cameras and sensors than a smaller property.
- How much do you want to monitor? It’s not just about protecting your properties from vandalism. A good security system will also integrate monitoring for smoke and carbon monoxide, allowing you to better protect every aspect of the property.
- Is the property a long-term investment? Installing security systems for real estate properties means that your investment remains secure while you’re taking care of the details of fixing it up.
Rental Units Versus Units For Sale
As you’re considering security systems for real estate properties, keep in mind the number of families who will be using the units.
A multi-family unit, for example, might require monitoring in each of the apartments. Many wireless systems are designed to be easy to install and easy to remove. That means that you can easily place them in an empty unit, then take them out when the unit is rented and use them on your next open property.
If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of constantly uninstalling and re-installing those systems, keep in mind that you always have the option to leave them in place and allow them to add value to the tenants as they come in. Many tenants will appreciate that extra layer of protection!
Some of the hardest properties to keep ready for showings are fixer-upper properties. They’re great for people who are looking for an inexpensive property that just needs a little effort and TLC, but they’re also easier to break into.
By installing a security system for your fixer-upper property, you’ll get the security and peace of mind that comes from knowing that whatever happens on your property, you’ll know about it, immediately. Not only that, the security system will help naturally close some of the gaps in the property’s current security.
Choosing the perfect security systems for real estate properties can be difficult. Knowing that you need one, however, is the first part of the process. After your system is installed, you’ll love the freedom that comes with being able to monitor the property no matter where you are, keeping an eye on the comings and goings of staff members, watching out for vandalism, and protecting the property in the event of a fire or other emergency.
At Builders Systems Group, we have a strong history of experience, innovation, and customer service. BSG has more than 24 years of service in San Antonio and Austin and a strong commitment to providing quality, cost-effective protection for homes, businesses, educational institutions and government facilities. To see what BSG can do for you, contact us today.