New Year, New Smart Home: Outdoor
It’s a beautiful afternoon, why not have family and friends over for a barbeque? Watch your favorite sports team and then wind down the evening with some great tunes and perhaps take a dip in the pool or hot tub. There’s a wide range of technology solutions built to withstand outdoor elements without compromising performance. Add music, video, and lighting control to make the perfect entertaining space or a personal smart outdoor retreat for relaxing after a long work day. TVs weather the storm and sun while minimizing glare for quality viewing even on a bright day. Outdoor lights automatically adjust at sunset to create ambiance and enhance safety.
Smart Outdoor Lights
We live in amazing times. For example, it’s totally reasonable to ask, “Can I control outdoor lights with iPhone apps?” What’s more amazing is the answer: “Yes!” Here’s a quick look at the types of outdoor automatic lights that you can control with the tap of a finger:
- Entertaining lights: Set the mood while you and your guests are enjoying your backyard oasis! You can control outdoor lights with iPhone assistance.
- Smart porch lights: Motion-operated outdoor automatic lights can either spook would-be burglars or provide some welcome illumination for guests.
- Holiday lights: Did you forget to turn off your holiday lights…again? If you set up an automated system, you can make your decorative lighting turn on and off with a timer.
- Automated solar lighting: Energy efficiency is an important part of smart outdoor living.
Smart Outdoor Windows
With smart outdoor technology, you can master the power of the sun. From automatic window shutters to retractable awnings, there are several ways to use modern technology to increase your outdoor comfort.
- Smart outdoor windows and shutters: Bring a little bit of the outdoors in without even having to get up by simply pressing a button to operate your automatic window shutters.
- Automated window screens: On the other hand, if too much of the outdoors is getting into your home, there’s an automated solution for that too.
- Automatable awnings: One fun outdoor smart home idea is to install a retractable awning that can transform your backyard patio into a cool, sophisticated outdoor eating experience.
Automated Security Systems
Smart outdoor technology isn’t meant only for style and comfort. You can also use technology to keep your family aware of who goes in and out of your home, even when you’re not there.
- Security cameras: The mere presence of a security camera is often enough to deter trespassers, but smart security cameras can also give you live video of outdoor disturbances.
- Smart floodlights: Floodlights are great for pouring a lot of light into a space very quickly, and can be easily automated to turn on when it gets dark, at a certain time, or at the touch of a button.
Automated Pool and Hot Tub Features
If you’ve ever thought, “There must be some information on how to control my pool pump remotely,” then check out these smart outdoor ideas and automated pool & hot tub features.
- Automated pool/hot tub temperature control: Setting up an automated outdoor system will allow you to get your hot tub to the desired temperature from anywhere—for example, you can tell it to heat up while you’re at work, and it’ll be ready to go by the time you get home.
- Pool pump control: With an automated system, you can operate your pool pump anywhere with the touch of a screen.
When it comes to smart outdoor technology, you can’t go wrong with the most energy-efficient grill and some fancy gadgets.
- Smart cooking thermometer: A smart thermometer allows you to remotely monitor the temperature of what you’re cooking. It’ll even sound an alarm once your main course reaches the desired temperature!
- Grillbots: Now there are small machines that can do this dirty job for you.
- Smart propane detectors: A smart propane detector will let you know when you’re running low, buying you time to get a new tank.
Automated Outdoor Entertainment Systems
These automated outdoor entertainment systems can help you bring together the best of the indoors and outdoors. If you’re wondering how to control outdoor speakers, look no further.
- Home theater projectors: Putting a projector outside is a great way to enjoy your favorite movies and shows while taking advantage of the lovely weather.
- Smart speakers: Adding Bluetooth or wireless WiFi speakers to your outdoor space can help create a zone of relaxation or set the mood for an outdoor soiree.
Smart Gardening Technology
Smart outdoor living offers solutions to this as well. Here are a few smart gardening tools that can help shoulder some of the burden of yard care and offer some energy-efficient landscaping.
- Smart irrigation: Setting up a smart irrigation system will help keep your plants healthy all year long—even when you’re out of town.
- Robot lawn mower: Automated mowers can keep your lawn at the desired length without any effort on your part, allowing you more time to enjoy your beautiful yard. Now that’s a smart gardening tool.
WiFi Weather Stations
Installing a WiFi weather station is an outdoor smart home idea that will make backyard living more enjoyable, and prevent you from getting caught in undesirable weather.
- Smart outdoor thermometer: Knowing the temperature outside can help you decide how warmly to dress or when to turn off the air-conditioning and let the cool night air into your home, which can in turn help you conserve energy.
- Smart weather station: A sophisticated weather station can give you valuable information about the weather, including the barometric pressure, wind speed and humidity.
You work hard, and you deserve some time to relax in an automated outdoor oasis. Installing WiFi outdoor lighting, purchasing smart gardening tools and implementing other outdoor smart home ideas can help you enjoy your home’s outdoor spaces like never before. It has never been easier to bring your automated home system outside, creating one cohesive system that can augment almost every aspect of your life—even the simple pleasure of enjoying the breeze on your backyard patio.