[fusion_dropcap boxed=”no” boxed_radius=”” class=”” id=”” color=””]F[/fusion_dropcap]or small to medium business owners/operators who may think investing in security is unnecessary, the reality is burglars are four times more likely to strike a business than a home, according to Forbes.
All it takes is one burglary, cyber-attack or act of vandalism to seriously disrupt your operations. Worse, such an attack can shutter your business permanently.
The High Costs of Theft
Retailers are particularly vulnerable because their goods can often be quickly taken and moved using basic tools and transportation.
For instance, San Antonio, TX: 2 suspects arrested after stealing over $70,000 worth of high-end merchandise; targeted stores in San Marcos and Austin. San Antonio, TX: Operation ‘Dirty Dozen’: 12 arrested in ID theft ring, accused of stealing over $500,000. Round Rock, TX: UPS employee stole $37,000 in jewelry. Madisonville, TX: Woman Accused Of Shoplifting $1,500 in merchandise at Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond in College Station. Sugar Land, TX: Thieves break inside First Colony Mall for 45 minutes -Fled with $18,000 in rare, high end shoes and clothing. Houston, TX: 2 men cut holes through walls to steal at least 50 iPhones at Verizon. Laredo, TX: Man arrested for theft of 52 colognes from Laredo store. Wichita Falls, TX: Second suspect jailed for theft of more than $40,000 in tires. Local Seguin business reported more than $50k in lawn mowing equipment.
High Cost of Fear
It’s not just the cash or goods at risk, it’s also peace of mind. After two robberies by a gun-wielding duo — in a single week — one Massachusetts, Dairy Mart owner was contemplating selling the business outright.
If you’ve decided the risk of inaction is too great, the next step is to create a business security plan and upgrade your protective infrastructure. Not every measure needs to involve super expensive or technologically sophisticated gear and solutions. Think about:
- Smart Door Locks: Make sure you have a lock that is sophisticated enough to actually discourage a burglar.
- Smart Lighting: You can deter crooks by keeping both the interior and exterior of the building constantly illuminated.
- A bolted-down safe: Do you have client or other documents that are particularly sensitive? Then think of procuring and using a heavy, fireproof safe and placing it in a hidden spot.
- Cybersecurity: Cloud-based protection for your data and apps is affordable and easily obtained.
- Installing security cameras and related solutions: Get 24/7 visibility to your office and/or building.
For an extra layer of security, you can hand the task of surveillance to a professional security systems provider, such as BSG with its UL-certified security command center, based in San Antonio, Texas. Their 24/7 operators average a response time of less than 20 seconds. You’ve worked too hard for this business — it’s time you protect it.