Home security systems can offer you great protection, but even the most advanced system cannot completely override human error. If you want to keep burglars out, do your best to avoid these common security mistakes:
- Letting newspapers and mail pile up – Allowing newspapers to pile up for days sends a clear signal that no one is home. Arrange for a friend, family member or neighbor to pick up the newspapers and the mail.
- Forgetting to check your door and window locks – Leaving a door or window unlocked can leave your home vulnerable. Checking those locks regularly to ensure they are engaged, and not left open by mistake, is important. This is one area BSG can help with! We can install smart door locks that can be controlled from your smart phone. Contact our sales department 855-MYSMARTHOME to learn more.
- Not trimming shrubbery – Overgrown bushes are perfect hiding places for thieves. It’s important to trim any shrubs and trees that are covering low-level windows and would shield a burglar’s attempt to break into your home. Be sure to cut tall branches that would allow the bad guys to climb up to a second story window (which tend to be left unlocked).
- Failing to arm your security system – Don’t forget to arm your security system. It can’t keep the bad guys out if it’s not on! Try putting a note near the door or install a system that enables you to use a mobile security application to arm your system remotely. However, it’s best if you always arm your system before you leave your home.
- Not locking garage doors and windows – Criminals love attached garages because most people forget to shut and lock the doors and windows. A burglar can enter the garage then close the door behind him so no one can see him break into your home. Be sure to secure your garage entries, as well as the door that leads to your home. In addition, your home security provider can install perimeter sensors to alert you of any unwanted activity in your garage.
Your security system will keep you safe, but it can’t do it all on its own! Be alert and stay safe. Contact a BSG Expert today to learn more 855-MYSMARTHOME.