Two of the biggest home security decisions anyone can make is the type of security system they buy and which home security company they choose to install, monitor and service the system. Each decision can have huge security consequences.
Most home security systems can be monitored and serviced by most reputable home security companies…you don’t need to have the home security system monitored by the installing company. So how can you know if you should change from your present home security company to a new one? Here are seven signs that it might be time to switch to a new home security service:
- The home security system does not work when needed. You invested in a security system for protection. If it does not work when needed, your security company should clearly explain the reason for the system failure. If it is due to an error by the installing company, it’s time to make a change.
- You have excessive false alarms. False alarms are caused by user error, equipment malfunctions or improper equipment applications. Your home security company should be able to help you reduce false alarms in all three areas. If you have excessive false alarms, or sense indifference about false alarms from your alarm company, consider finding a new home security company.
- They don’t respond to your requests for information. If it takes them more than one day to return your phone call or respond to your email, you have a problem. Even worse is when they don’t follow up on requests you have made.
- Your fees keep increasing for no apparent reason. You have a right to understand the reason behind fee increases. If you don’t like what you hear, shop for alternative home security systems.
- The alarm system is monitored in a non-certified central station alarm monitoring center. Because experience and quality can vary widely amongst alarm companies, it’s wise to have your home alarm system monitored by an Underwriters Laboratories (UL) certified central station alarm monitoring center. That’s your assurance that certain standards of performance are in place to better protect you.
- When you receive no communications from the company, period. Good companies communicate regularly with their customers. The world of security is multi-faceted and ever-changing. Outstanding home security companies keep you informed about trends and developments that impact you. They share with you new security technologies and applications (like keyless entry systems, smartphone control of your security system and home automation options, just to name a few) that better protect you.
- They lack the ability to adequately service your home alarm system. If your alarm company doesn’t keep an adequate supply of replacement equipment on hand to repair systems when needed, it’s time to look for a new company. It’s too important to go without security for prolonged periods.